- Astronauts can’t belch – there is no gravity to separate liquid from gas in their stomachs.
REM dreams are characterized by bizarre themes, but non-REM dreams are repetitive and thought-like, with little imagery – obsessively returning to a suspicion you left your mobile phone somewhere, for example.
- Many ancient societies often used urine as mouthwash
Certain types of eye movements during REM sleep correspond to specific movements in dreams, suggesting at least part of the dreaming process is comparable to watching a television show
- The typical person who quits smoking needs one hour less sleep per night.
- Soldiers do not march in step when going across bridges because they could set up a vibration which could be sufficient to knock the bridge down
No-one knows for sure if other species dream but some do have sleep cycles likened to humans.
- The painting that won second place in a competition held by the US National Academy of Design was hanging upside down when it was judged
Elephants sleep standing up during non-REM sleep, but lie down for REM sleep.
- Everything weighs one percent less at the equator
Dreams may not serve any purpose at all but be merely a insubstantial offshoot of two evolutionary adaptations – shuteye and awareness.
- For every extra pound carried on a space flight, 530 pounds of excess fuel are needed at lift-off
REM sleep may help developing brains mature. Premature babies have 75 per cent REM sleep, 10 per cent more than full-term bubs. Similarly, a newborn kitten puppy rat or hamster experiences only REM sleep, while a newborn guinea pig (which is much more developed at birth) has almost no REM sleep at all.
- The letter J does not appear at all on the periodic table of the elements
Scientists have not been able to explain a 1998 study showing a bright light shone on the backs of human knees can restart the brain’s sleep-wake clock.
- Why do I wake up in the middle of the night, but am unable to move? (zocdoc.com)
- Babies And Dreams (bilingualmontessori.wordpress.com)
- Tired? Sleepy? Exhausted? Take a PREM Nap! (sleepwellleadwell.com)
Tell us YOUR Nefarious NapStealer Story
Submit your story in our Nefarious NapStealer Essay ContestMore Sleep Problems: Astronaut, Dream, Sleep deprivation, Sleep disorder