- The Mona Lisa has no eyebrows. During the Renaissance era it was fashionable to shave them off.
- The record for the longest period without sleep is 18 days, 21 hours, 40 minutes during a rocking chair marathon. The record holder reported hallucinations, paranoia, blurred vision, slurred speech and memory and concentration lapses.
- If you are right handed, you will tend to chew your food on the right side of your mouth. If you are left handed, you will tend to chew your food on the left side of your mouth.
It’s impossible to tell if someone is really awake without close medical supervision. People can take cat naps with their eyes open without even being aware of it.
- To make a pound of honey, bees must collect nectar from over 2 million individual flowers
Anything less than five minutes to fall asleep at night means you’re sleep deprived. The ideal is between 10 and 15 minutes, meaning you’re still tired enough to sleep deeply, but not so exhausted you feel sleepy by day.
- Heroin is the brand name of morphine once marketed by Bayer.
A new baby typically results in 400-750 hours lost sleep for parents in the first year
- Communications giant Nokia was founded in 1865 as a wood-pulp mill by Fredrik Idestam.
One of the best predictors of insomnia later in life is the development of bad habits from having sleep disturbed by young children.
- Tourists visiting Iceland should know that tipping at a restaurant is considered an insult.
The continuous brain recordings that led to the discovery of REM (rapid eye-movement) sleep were not done until 1953, partly because the scientists involved were concerned about wasting paper.
- People in nudist colonies play volleyball more than any other sport.
REM sleep occurs in bursts totalling about 2 hours a night, usually beginning about 90 minutes after falling asleep.
- Albert Einstein was offered the presidency of Israel in 1952, but he declined (NOTE: The presidency of Israel is largely a symbolic post. The Prime Minister has the real power)
Dreams, once thought to occur only during REM sleep, also occur (but to a lesser extent) in non-REM sleep phases. It’s possible there may not be a single moment of our sleep when we are actually dreamless.
- How I sleep: random thoughts after using MyZeo to measure my sleep for a few weeks (loiclemeur.com)
- Tired? Sleepy? Exhausted? Take a PREM Nap! (sleepwellleadwell.com)
- Sleep (English File) (englishelxni2.wordpress.com)
Tell us YOUR Nefarious NapStealer Story
Submit your story in our Nefarious NapStealer Essay Contest